Sydney Harbour Splash Festival 2021
We are excited to be hosting the Sydney Harbour Splash again this year on this Sunday the 25th of April! Starting at 6am!
Back for it’s 4th year, the iconic swim starts at Woollahra Sailing Club and follows the coastline giving participants stunning views to the Harbour Bridge as they go.
Members please note, between the hours of 6am-1pm, club and ramp use will be very limited. You will not be able to access your vessel during this period. The office will also be closed.
For more details see: Sydney Harbour Splash – Anzac Day 2021 – Woollahra Sailing Club
Optis dominate at the 2021 Nationals!
Over the last week, our Optimist green, intermediate and open fleets travelled to Adelaide to compete in the 2021 National championships. With 16 WSC sailors, we almost took over the SA home club who had 17, and were strong in representing NSW!
1st Female – Alice Holstein
1st Male – Saxon Foggo
3rd Male – Walter Heeley
1st 10 yr old – Stirling McKay
1st Female – Hanako Tomishima
A special mention for Hanako Tomishima who had a brilliant performance for her last regatta in Optis; she is the fourth girl to ever finish top 5 at the Australian Nationals. Very inspirational for the young females in sailing!
Our most proud achievement was WSCs title as the 2021 Winner of the Ozi Opti Club Championship award! With a staggering 171pts, ahead of 2nd place with 200pts. Special mention to those who placed and the whole team effort towards winning the trophy! The last and only other time we took the lead was in 2016!
Full results here: Sailwave results for Australian Optimist Championship 2020-21 at 2021
This regatta was a great representation of the commitment and support put in over the summer season from our sailors and parents and a testament to our program, with thanks to head coach Alex Zimmermann!
Get around the SailGP teams! Go Tom Slingsby!
The Aussies are preparing to defend their championship title in SailGP Season 2, which kicks off this week in Bermuda on the 24th and 25th of April/ 25th and 26th AUS time.
Winter Series 2021 – Club racing is (almost) back!
Club racing starts up again for the winter series on the 9th of May!
Head here for the NOR and further details: https://www.woollahrasailingclub.org.au/wsc-event/winter-series-2021/all/
Again a wrap up of the summer series. The winners of the various divisions were:
- Moth Fleet: Midnight Kebab (Warren Sare)
- Open Fleet: Manalive (Matt Brooman and Michael Gallagher)
- Inner Fleet: Salty Sea Dog (Diane Vukelic and Neil Gosh)
- Finn Fleet: AUS 2 (Rob McMillan)
- Tasar Fleet: Faking Clever (Kerry Fyfe and Michael O’Brien)
- Waszp Fleet: 2630 (Scott Sydney)
420 Nationals wrap up 2021
Over the 9-13th of April, we hosted the 420 National championships for 2021, in partner with the Australian 420 association!
It was a fantastic regatta, with 7 of the 14 teams being from WSC. The weather showed all elements and proved a challenge on some days.
The NSW and WSC teams performed well with an overall 2nd from Keizo and Ethan, and Bridget and India were the top female crew for the 2nd year, running in 6th overall.
We had several other boats compete in their first ever Nationals and there were big smiles on their faces throughout the event. We hope they continue on with it.
Thank you to Suki for pulling together a fantastic event and to our on/off water teams for making it possible!
More details, results and pictures here: 420 Australian Championship April 2021 – Woollahra Sailing Club
Recent achievements from our members! Go WSC sailors!
Some huge success’s recently from our sailors! Congratulations on the achievements!
Recently, sailor Jack Ferguson competed in the Australian WASZP championship down in Sorrento and took out 1st place!! Results here Overall Results – WASZP (sailingresults.net)
Over term 2 we have our teens and tackers program running from May – June. Get your kids involved in sailing !
We have discounts available for families or for returning sailors! We would love to have them join us
Sign up and more info here: https://www.woollahrasailingclub.org.au/learn-to-sail-2/#tackers
Check out our range of club merchandise. It is catered to be practical on and off the water and is a great way to represent yourself as a WSC sailor!
There are rashies, bibs, caps, hoodies, long sleeve tops, dry bags and t-shirts. As well as more coming soon…
Look through the online ‘shop’ on our website, through your members portal or come try it on at the club!
We are looking forward to hosting many events over the next few months. These include:
- Sydney Harbour Splash Festival 2021
- Club Racing! Winter series!
- Term 2 learn to sail programs
For more information on these and other events please consult the Club’s event calendar: https://www.woollahrasailingclub.org.au/wsc-events/list/
Sent us your photos and videos
We would love to share your photos and videos on the Club website, Instagram and Facebook accounts. There is a lot happening at the Club, let’s show the world that Woollahra Sailing Club is a great place to Sail and Paddle.
Please send you photos and videos to [email protected] By doing so you will be giving the Club the right to use this content for promotional purposes. We will not pass on that right to any other organization.
Australian Sailing Courses
Australian Sailing have launched a variety courses to gain further knowledge, experience and qualifications from Club Race Officer to Dinghy Instructor qualifications.
The Club is always looking for volunteers to support regattas, club racing and programmes. Book in to secure your spot!
Dinghies, SUPs and kayaks
Members can hire dinghies, SUPs and kayaks at discounted prices. Please book and pay online.
Take advantage of your member discount for kayak/sup or hire a Pacer or Laser dinghy.
Booking and payment made under ‘member hire’ at the following link or for further details please contact [email protected]
Please consult the Club COVID-19 – Coronavirus Policy before each visit to the Club. In particular please record your details, on one of the contact tracing facilities provided. Wherever possible please use one of the QR codes.
- Please check the Latest NSW Health COVID-19 news and updates.
The Club is operating at near full capacity. In order to keep operating in this fashion assistance is required from all visitors to the facility. The following restrictions are in accordance with NSW Public Health Orders:
• Do not attend the Club if you have any cold of flu like symptoms.
• Do not attend the Club if there is any chance you may have been in contact with someone who has, or might have coronavirus, in the last 14 days.
• Only members, Sailing School customers, volunteers, and staff may visit the Club. No public or guest access allowed.
• We have provided two forms of contact tracing QR Codes in the foyer. Record your details, on one of these methods, for each and every visit to the Club.
• Members may remove and return craft to storage.
• Comply with government regulations regarding social distancing. Keep 1.5 metres apart and allow 2 by square metres per person indoors.
• Please rig outside the yard if possible. You may rig in the yard but if you do so please move out of the yard asap.
• The Club toilets and change rooms are open. Keep 1.5 metres apart and allow 4 square metres per person.
• The Club café and all other internal facilities are closed. This is in accordance with NSW Public Health Orders and cannot be avoided.
• The yard is open during the day but requires security access card/fob after hours.
• There is limited access to the ramp or yard for road trailers.
• Outside of Club organised activities (racing and training) no rescue resources are available. Use of the facilities and the harbour is conducted at your own risk!
• Failure to comply with this policy may result in temporary suspension of membership!
• Failure to comply with this policy may result in very significant penalties for individuals and the Club!
• Failure to comply with this policy may result in complete closure of the Club! Nobody wants to be responsible for that.