Volunteer training day
Saturday December 5 @ 12:00 pm - 4:00 pm AEDT
Lunch, coffee and drinks Provided.
It’s free and we encourage all members to participate!
Course Outline – 4xSubjects, 4xStations, 45min each
- Facilities – Safety Responsibilities; Winch Operation – launching On Ramp; Crane Operation – launching from Jetty; Petrol handling; Rescue Boat Prep.
- Rescue boat operation – Safety Responsibilities; Start of Day – gear check; Radio Operation; Retrieving Sailors; Towing Boats; Race Buoys
– Anchors, Anchor Lines, Buoys; End of Day – returning gear & reporting incidents/gear repairs.
- Start boat & race management– Safety Responsibilities; Principles of race course setting; On-board roles and responsibilities; Laying marks for the Presiding Race Officer (PRO) by Rescue Boat (note, this is not a learn-to-run-a-race course – simply what you’ll be asked to do to support the race management)
- Basic First aid – Safety Procedures & Communications- on-water, club, ambulance, police; defibrillator locations at WSC and next nearest; resuscitation, CPR, using a defibrillator.
*Note: This is not a first-aid certification course.
We intend this to be a fun and informative intro to each key role. You will get hands-on, on-shore experience, receive takeaway materials to refer to when it’s your turn to volunteer, so you feel comfortable volunteering with the more experienced volunteers at the club.