Here’s the weekly roundup from your club.
2019 NSW & ACT Sailing Awards Finalists Released
With a record year of nominations across all categories, Australian Sailing announced last Saturday at the CYCA, the winners of the 2019 New South Wales & ACT Sailing Awards
Congratulations to our special members Gaye Rosen and Martin Gill for winning the prestigious “Volunteers of the year award”.
Woollahra Sailing Club would not be the same without your incredible support and beautiful smiles.
WSC Holiday Camps #SheSails
The July holiday camps are run by our incredible instructors, all local ladies who shaped every attendee with their amazing skills.
SheSails is an Australian Sailing campaign designed to recognise all of the amazing female contributors to our sport, and to encourage women to enjoy sailing through organised activities at your local sailing club. SheSails aims to:
- Promote and celebrate female participation in the sport of sailing
- Provide new and existing female sailors with the opportunity to enjoy activities at their local sailing club with like-minded people
- Provide clubs with visual materials and case studies to help grow female participation in recreational and competitive sailing
- Develop a platform to feature female-focused events and programs across the country
More info: https://www.shesails.org.au/home/
Last week of holiday camps
WSC holiday camps are available online for another holiday full of fun, sun, and great memories.
Tuesday 16th – Friday 19th
Price: $515.00 (4 days) from 9AM to 3PM each day
Book here: https://www.woollahrasailingclub.org.au/course-calendar/
Woollahra members competing overseas
Great job to all Woollahra members who competed and are still sailing overseas at the 420 world championships in Vilamoura Portugal, the ISAF youth world championship in Poland, the Laser world championships in Japan and Optimist World Championships in Antigua .
420 World Championships – Portugal
From 3 to 11 July, renowned as a proven venue for numerous sailing Championships, Vilamoura, on Portgual’s south coast, is set to welcome the world’s best 420 sailors across the three racing divisions.
- 2019 420 World Championships – is open to teams of all ages. Each nation is entitled to 7 boats, with 14 boats for the host nation.
- 2019 420 Ladies World Championships – is open to teams of all ages. Each nation is entitled to 7 boats, with 14 boats for the host nation.
- 2019 U17 420 World Championship – is restricted to athletes aged 16 and under at the end of 2017. Each 420 National Class Association is entitled to enter 6 boats (3 boats men or mixed and 3 boats ladies) and the host NCA entitled to 12 boats (6 boats men or mixed and 6 boats ladies);
SAF youth world championship – Poland
Since the inaugural championships in Sweden in 1971, the Youth Sailing World Championships has gone from strength to strength and has established an impressive legacy.
Youth Sailing World Championships will be in Gdynia, Poland this year from 13 to 20 July.
Good luck to Ryan Littlechild and Jack Ferguson who will compete this coming week.
2019 Optimist World Championships – Antigua
Continuing in a well-established tradition of WSC Optimist sailors competing internationally.
We would like to wish Ethan and the 2019 Australian Worlds Optimist team all the best.
More details regarding the world Championships can be found here: http://2019worlds.optiworld.org/en/default/races/race
Term 3 Learn to Sail & Junior Sailing programs
WSC new sailing programs are available online and ready to be booked =)
2019 Winter Series Calendar
August, 4th – Point score races 10,11,12
August, 18th – Point score races 13,14,15
Xmas in July/Summer series prize giving
Sun 28 Jul 2019 1:00 pm to 4:00 pm. Come and join fellow members and friends this July at Woollahra Sailing Club for ‘Christmas in July’. A festive event including a winter feast, some Christmas tunes, and a presentation for the Summer Series of Sailing. This is also an opportunity to see the progress being made to the new ramp which will be nearing completion by then.
Price: $10 per adult, $5 per child. Book here: https://bit.ly/2IZnUrZ
We would like to remind all members to be aware of the risks involved when launching from Cranbrook ramp (sailors) or Rose Bay Beach (paddlers).
Also, wild wind forecast tomorrow, please be careful.
Office opening hours
Monday 15 July to Friday 19 July – Open from 9:00am to 5:00pm.
Monday 22 . July to Friday 26 July – Open from 9:00am to 5:00pm.
Cafe opening hours
Saturday 6 July: closed
Sunday 7 July: closed
Saturday 13 July: closed
Sunday 14 July: closed
Please help us to keep the club safe by reporting any hazards and helping to keep walkways clear.
Yours in Sailing and Paddling,
The WSC Team